New Palace, Potsdam
New Palace is situated on the western side of Sanssouci Park in Potsdam. Frederick the Great ordered building work to begin in 1763 after the end of the Seven Years’ War, and the palace was already finished by 1769. It is regarded as the last important palace of the Prussian Baroque era. The king intended it to be a palace for guests of his court, not a royal residence. The palace did not become a permanent summer residence until Emperor Wilhelm II used it as such between 1888 and 1918.